Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Tuesday 31st May 2011


Hello everybody,
My update that I promised is here! Well....where to start? I am in Mallorca here on holiday as you know with Mummy and Emily (left Daddy at home!) It's lovely and warm and we are just heading off down to the beach today. Although.... there is a down side to this wonderful holiday because no one can treat themselves too much...I have had to bring ALL my school books, which has filled my suitcase and hardly left me any room to take clothes so I am left here revising 6 hours a day (on beach instead of swimming and making sandcastles) with two outfits for a week! It really is the life (not). Lets just hope it pays of in the exams!
I have been really well overall, had a couple of bumps and bruises at the worst. I am getting fitter and I have managed to get into the A Team tennis at my new school (Oakham) which I am really proud of because it is my favourite sport of the year.
At school there was a Short Story Competition. I wrote about one of my experiences in hospital, Mummy said it was not the right thing to do because it was really sad and I could write about all the lovely things we have done, like our weekend in Paris, and describe them really well. But I thought I could describe my time in hospital even more well and in lots of detail. I worked really hard on it and made my whole class cry becuase it was so sad (don't know whether this is a good thing or a bad thing!) and managed to win the prize in my class. It is now going forward to be judged out of my whole year which is about 5 other stories of extremely high standard compared to mine because I am in one of the bottom classes. I will know how well I have done at the end of term.
In the meantime, because I love writing so much, I thought I would write a book for people on the ward, and people who would like to know more about Leukaemia and what it's like to have it with a glossary of all the drugs and side effects of them in the back.
I will be selling it for £5.99 and 75% of it will go to Ward 27 Leicester Royal Infirmary so Rachel can improve the ward. I will be writing it in the summer and I am just getting ideas together at the moment.
If I have missed anything just say and I will update you on that too.
Love Mima xx

8 comments:

Katty said...

To Mima. Its soooooo lovely to hear from you - and for a nice smiley reason to!!!! Lucky you being in Mallorca - hope it is sunny and warm and lovely weather. I am really jealous. Shame about the revising though - I remember those days... You'll be ok in your exams I'm sure.
I'd LOVE to read your story. I bet its fab as your writing on this blog is (and that poem I remember you writing). I bet not many children who were 8 (when you started) would write as well as you do on here. Tell me when the book is done and I'll buy one - see you've sold your first one already.
Morgan and Scooby are very well and are getting up to what they usually do. They are fighting with the cat I think I told you about before - nice, innocent, sweet little Scooby had him pinned down on the grass a few weeks ago. I actually feel really sorry for the other cat but it was heading that way when the other cat started inviting himself into the house. Morgan is driving me mad because he keeps coming in to use the litter tray and then going out again. It's ok for him he doesn't have to change it. Anyway...
Have a nice rest of your holiday! Don't revise too much - enjoy yourself too!
It is so nice for your update. It is so lovely to hear from you :-))
have a fantastic rest of the holiday (minus the revision of course) - love the photo by the way. You look like you are having a nice time. Lots of love and purrs,
Katty xxx Morgan and Scoo meow meow meow
I'm so happy that you are well. You've made my week! x

Anonymous said...

Hi Katty,
It was lovely to hear from you I thought nobody was going to comment on it because I hadn't written in so long. I am so pleased that I have a first buyer for my book although I can't guarantee quality! I probably will put some things from my blog in because I am sure I can't remember a whole two years in great detail.The book will probably be out at the end of the summer with a bit of hope.
I think Morgan and Scooby are a bit* worried that you are going to take up this other cat! And although i have never met Morgan and Scooby I have a rough picture in my head of what sort of troublesome cats they are, I love troublesome! I have three days left of revision and I am on my Latin day today!
Hope you are having a good holiday too! Mima xx
Ps Thank you for writing on here.

jillfever said...

beautiful photograph, lovely girls... appreciating how well you articulate your story, thank you for sharing with all... I hope for your wellness and healing!

Katty said...

I was going to ask Mima, how is Digby and the agility thing? I gave up on Morgan long ago. No Britain's Got Talent for him... Hope the exams are going well :-)
I do love hearing from you x

Anonymous said...

great to read your update. I hadn't looked at your blog for ages. Let me know when the book is finished I would really like to have a copy.
I enjoyed reading Katty's comment too because I like to hear about Morgan and Scooby. I have a cat and her name is Tia.
I hope all the revision that had to be done whilst on holiday was worthwhile and that you do well in your exams.
It would be lovely if you can find time to update your blogg again. I know you are very busy so I'll just keep looking just in case the is a new entry.

LOTS of LOVE
Sue

PS hope you haven't forgotten who I am.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mima,
How fantastic it is to hear from you, although i'm a bit mad because i check to see if you've updated us almost every day, and then i go on holiday, without my laptop, and you update us while im away, but it's lovely to catch up with what you've been upto!
We hired my friends caravan in Butlins, but we had a bit of a near disaster! Alfie had a bad dream in the middle of the night, so he decided to put his bedside lamp on, but somehow he must have caught the wire, and pulled the lamp on him, which then burnt through his duvet, and by some miracle, woke him up in the nick of time when he felt his tummy get hot! Luckily this happened before the fumes got to him or Niall, and we were woken by them both screaming the caravan down at 5.15am, the room was full of thick black smoke. The fire brigade said we were very very lucky! We managed to clean the caravan up ok, thank goodness, and it looked as good as new when we left it!
Josh (the 18 year old) is in Arizona for 9 weeks! He's got a place at a summer camp there, learning children from around the world different soccer skills and lots of other exciting stuff. He seems to be enjoying it, although he has been stung by a scorpion and found a tarantula in his shower AND it's 49 degrees!!!!
I miss him but i don't miss picking up all his smelly socks from his bedroom floor!!!
Niall (the 10 year old) is going to Wales with his school on Tuesday so it will be even more quiet than it is already in our house next week as we will be down to 2 boys from 4!!
I hope you do really well in your short story competition, let us know how it goes, and i would love to buy a copy of your book when it's all finished please.
I didn't realise you went to Oakham school, we pass there quite often as we store our caravan in Greetham, just past Cottesmore! Hope you do well in your exams, you deserve to after all that revising you've been doing!
Dan has just left school, and he only needs to go in when he has an exam so i have him with me during the day until he starts college! Niall moves to secondary school in September which he's looking forward to, and Alfie will be going in to year 4, he was 8 yesterday! They are growing up too fast!
Anyway, it was lovely to hear from you Mima, take care,
Lotsa love,
Max
xxx

Frances said...

Now that you're in a tennis team, learning tennis glossary terms would really help you understand the game more.

shehryar said...

Nice blog :)
my blog is this please visit:
http://picturesgardens.blogspot.com