Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Friday 16th April 2010

The good news is that I have not relapsed!
But I have got something called ITP, Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura, which basically means that my immune system is eating my healthy platelets by mistake thinking that they are bad viral cells so my platelets are very low which is why I am bruising so easily. This is very very rare and only 4 in 100,000 children get it so I am really quite special!
But, I have to be very careful now and not do any contact sports or sports things where I could bang my head (cos I could bleed in my brain) so guess what that means - yup, you got it, no riding again until I am better.
I have to have another blood test on Monday and see what has happened to my blood since Thursday. Then I will have another blood test a few days later and then a few days after that. That's all very well, but as I don't have a port anymore it means that I have to have a needle stuck in to me (OOOOOWWWWW) and as my platelets are low it means I get a big bruise and I bleed alot (aaarrrggghhh!)
I have had enough and I think I am driving Mummy mad because I am not very good at being careful and not being active. We are meant to be on holiday in Jersey where we were going surfing and everything but we are stuck in boring Billesdon with nothing to do. Anyway, the flight was cancelled to Jersey because of the volcano so we would still be in boring Billesdon.
I think I will .....................................hmmmmmmm, what shall I do?????????

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do make me Laugh Mima!!
You also amaze me how you take eveything in your stride!
I have never heard of ITP before, but did we really need that to tell us you're really quite special.....I THINK NOT!
Well i hope the needles don't hurt too much, be brave, just like you have since 13th June 2007!
Take it easy Mima, and BE CAREFUL......
Take care,
Lotsa love,
Max
xxx

Katty said...

Trust you to have something so rare as that! I very glad the leukaemia hasn't come back though.
Maybe the volcanic cloud thing is a good thing for you because instead of being in Jersey now you would be sitting at the airport - then you would still asking what you should do?
When i have a blood test I hold my breath and its hurts only for a second and then it goes - I don't know if it is the same for you?
Slow down for a bit and I hope they sort it out and so you can run around and go horse riding again very soon.
Take care
Kathryn xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Mimes, Fifi was telling me that you had a new condition that makes you bruise and I thought it sounded like ITP. Granny Pixie was diagnosed with ITP about 4 years ago and hasnt let it stop her doing anything. I am certain it wont stop you either. Keep smiling.
Love
The Furbers

Anonymous said...

so its confirmed you are special we knew that anyway.
Pity about the Jersey trip but this volcano is spoiling everyones plans. The airport here is chaotic people are camping out there.Imagine how bored they must be. They're all waiting that flights will resume soon but who knows.
Please be careful what ever you do. Hoping to hear that things improve very very soon.
Lots of love
Sue

emilia. said...

i think you are so brave, you sound like such an amazing person and i'm sure you are exceptionally special. i would like to start following you and keeping up to date with what you do.
take it easy,
emilia xxx