Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Monday 15th June 2009

Two years ago today I started my treatment!
All I remember is feeling very poorly all the time. I had to have my bloods taken every 6 hours and a horrid pink medicine to protect my kidneys every 8 hours, I had a drip constantly for 2 weeks and had a general anaesthetic two days in a row and then once a week for the first month and loads of vin and christine, the horrible asparagus and mayonnaise jab in my leg and so much dexamethasone (steroids) I was starving and angry all the time! What a horrible time that was but at least we can forget all that now.
I am really well at the moment and enjoying lots of school, parties, rounders matches, and a lot of tennis in our garden! We have had our school exams and I did ok so that's good. We had a drama workshop for the parents last week and I read a poem about Friends which I loved and we are doing it again for some other children from a different school who are visiting us this week.
We have sports day on Friday but I won't be doing much because I can't really run very well as it hurts my ankles but it is a fun day anyway. Then we have our school fete which is just about the best day all year and I have a stall with some friends which will be great fun.
Sorry if I don't write very often these days but don't think it is because I am not well, it is because I am very well!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

MIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

HELLO!!

GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN, AND I'M SO HAPPY THAT THE REASON YOU HAVN'T UPDATED YOUR BLOG IS BECAUSE YOU'RE BUSY NOT POORLY!!!
2 YEARS AGO TODAY........WOW........AND HAVN'T YOU BEEN THROUGH IT DURING THOSE 2 YEARS!
WELL JOSH HAS LEFT SCHOOL, JUST 1 EXAM LEFT TO DO THIS THURSDAY, AND IT'S ALSO MY BIG NIGHT OUT ON THURSDAY, MY AWARDS EVENING AT THE WALKERS STADIUM SO I CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT!
NIALL'S GOING CAMPING WITH THE SCHOOL ON WEDNESDAY FOR 2 NIGHTS...(PEACE)!! ALFIE WAS 6 LAST THURSDAY BUT THINKS HES 16, HE WEARS GLASSES NOW, AND HE CHOSE A PAIR OF BENCH ONES, BUT I COULDN'T SAY NO AS HE DOES LOOK LOVELY IN THEM! WERE GOING TO THE BRITAINS GOT TALENT LIVE TOUR ON FRIDAY FOR THE WEEKEND,SO IM LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT. ITS DANS BIRTHDAY NEXT WEEK AND NIALLS THE WEEK AFTER!!! I NEVER HAVE ANY MONEY THIS TIME OF YEAR!!!
WELL IM OFF TO DO MY VOLUNTARY WORK NOW,
TAKE CARE MIMA,
LOTSA LUV,
MAX
xxx

Katty said...

Hi Mima,

I am sooooo glad things have changed so much from being in hospital to, more or less, being able do what your friends are doing. The end is in sight!!

You NEVER have to apologise for not writing a lot, I, and I am sure all of your friends and family, would rather you write hardly ever and be very well than write a lot and you feeling poorly.

I think you are amazing to come through all this still with a smile on you face. How much times have changed and the past is chapter in your life that you and your family can forget. If your mind should ever wonder to the last two years though there are some positive things that have emerged from it: new friends you have made, positive experiences (such as the Strictly Come Dancing thing) that you wouldn't have had and finally I have had the pleasure to meet you!... so it's not all bad.

School fetes’ – I love fetes’ and stuff like that. You have a nice time and I hope you win a good prize on the raffle!!

Shame about the weather today. Morgan just disembowelled a bird (yuk!) so I shut him out in the rain and has now he has just come strutting in as though he hasn’t done anything. As you haven’t written for awhile quite a lot has happened for the cats: Morgan got shut in our neighbour’s garage overnight, Scooby got locked in our garage for all of an hour (the worst thing for him was that it happened over teatime, he said: ‘couldn’t you hear my stomach rumbling?’). Also we went to Cornwall for a week so they stayed at home with my sister who made them sleep in the kitchen every night. I’m sure they will get over it and forget it all by next week. I have finished university forever so now I have to find a job (eek!). Hope your family and Digby are ok. As much as I like you, I will hope I won’t hear from you for awhile because you are so very well and having lots of fun!

Thinking of you as always though and take care. Love Kathryn xxx

Stephanie said...

hello,you will not know me yet but my name is stephanie and I have leukaemia (ALL) I've been having treatmeat for six monts now.I am a little happy now because I have just finshed a five day steroid.I am thinking about my wish for children with cancer and i read about yours.
I live in Guernsey so we have to fly alot to southampon
I hope you are feeling alright because I know how you feel when you are on horrible steroids

stephanie
xxxxxxxxxx

Uncle Simon said...

Mima,
Great to read that everything is going so well !
It has been so nice not to read about any accidents !!
LOL, Uncle Simon xxxx

Anonymous said...

As you can see we are all very happy to know that you are feeling so well and are able to enjoy all the things going on at school.
What a long hard journey you have had, now the end isn't far away.
I think you were marvellous throughout the experience and always seemed to make the best of an awful situation. A huge thing for a little girl.
Lots of love and take care

Sue