Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Monday 10th November 2008

Lots of people ask me what it is like when I am on steroids so I wrote a poem.

STEROIDS
My life is annoying
Everyone tries to help
It doesn't make it better
Especially when
on the fourth week
they kick in again!
My bones start to hurt
I am starting to moan
My Mum tells me stop
and my Dad tells me NO!
I say to them 'no way,
I am not taking them,
They make me feel poorly
don't try me again.'
It comes to the time
I have days off school
Mums friends all come round
oh what a to do
I can't interact
Mum says
'say hello'
and that was that
Now they've all gone
I go to my room
To let out the anger
I paint a balloon
But Mum has a problem
I didn't paint it on there
It was onto my nails
In bright orangey pear
She said to me now
what was that for?
I say, it's the fashion
She said 'Oh, tell me more!'
I go back downstairs
and talk to the dog
I do have my own life
but then, maybe not.
By Jemima Sellicks age 9

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO MIMA....YOU HAVE ANOTHER HIDDEN TALENT! WRITING POEMS!
I MUST SAY IT GAVE ME SOME IDEA JUST HOW BAD THOSE STEROIDS MAKE YOU FEEL, BUT I DON'T THINK ANYONE CAN FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW TERRIBLE THEY MAKE YOU FEEL,UNLESS THEY'VE ACTUALLY HAD THEM!
MAYBE YOU COULD WRITE US ANOTHER POEM WHEN YOUR FEELING WELL AGAIN, I WOULD LIKE TO READ THAT ONE!
HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON MIMA,
TAKE CARE,
LOTSA LUV,
MAX
xxx

PS......IT DOESN'T SEEM 5 MINUTES SINCE I WROTE THIS BIT TO YOU LAST YEAR, BUT IT'S ONLY 45 DAYS TILL THE BIG FELLA IN THE RED COAT WILL BE PAYING YOU A VISIT...!
I HOPE HE BRINGS YOU GOOD HEALTH AND HAPPINESS FOR 2009 MIMA.
xxx

Katty said...

Wow Mima - your a poet and you didn't know it! That's a fantastic poem although it is a very sad one. Like Max said, you should write a poem when your feeling happier and share it with us.
It must not be nice feeling like that and having to put up with having medicine that makes you feel not good. Sometimes we have to give Morgan and Scooby medicine to make them better that they don't like and tastes horrible but we know we are doing it because we love them. Do you have to ever do that with Digby?
I'm glad you wrote that poem for us so it makes us half know how you feel. You're very talented! Lots of love, Kathryn xXx

Anonymous said...

Well that is just brilliant. If I was a judge in a poetry competition, I would give you the
1st prize and a big silver cup. I think writing things down is a good way of making yourself feel better and helping other people understand you. Maybe this might help you feel better..... If you had a chart with all the days that you have to take the steroids, you could tick off the days everytime you took them. Then you could see that everytime you take them, then that day has gone and there will be less days left that you need to take them! I hope you are soon writing in coloured writing again and feeling alot better. Love The Greenlees

Anonymous said...

Hey Mimes, steroids AND the ballet show!!!!!!! you will need a BIG treat at the end of this week. Have fun doing the show, 'knock um' dead with your show stopping smile and enjoy yourself.
Love the Furbers

Anonymous said...

hi your poam was great and it is nice to know there is someone else that fells the same on vin and dex.i have sum good news i had my last vin to day and it will be my last moody time on dex but my mum said i will still have them again oneday when i turn into a tean ager.i never thought this day would come i finish my last chemo tablet on the 13 december will be thinking about you macy

Anonymous said...

Hola Mima from Mallorca, I hope this reaches you as I do not think the other messages have. Just wanted you to know that I am always thinking of you and Granny and Grandpa keeps me informed as well as me reading your Blog. You are amazing and are a very special person. I hope you are able to enjoy the snow I am sure Digby thinks it is specially for him,
Hugs and kisses to you and Emily

Rita XX

Anonymous said...

Hola Mima from Mallorca, I hope this reaches you as I do not think the other messages have. Just wanted you to know that I am always thinking of you and Granny and Grandpa keeps me informed as well as me reading your Blog. You are amazing and are a very special person. I hope you are able to enjoy the snow I am sure Digby thinks it is specially for him,
Hugs and kisses to you and Emily

Rita XX