Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Wednesday 18th June 2008

Yippee!!!
I started maintenance today so now it is only 72 weeks to go until I finish my treatment!!! Well, I sort of started maintenance today. My blood results are still not quite good enough to have all the medicines I am meant to have so I had some IV chemo and have started taking the dreaded steroids but I am not having the weekly oral chemo or the daily oral chemo until my blood has recovered a bit more, hopefully next Wednesday.
I went to school after the hospital today for the first time in about 10 days and really enjoyed it. Then after school Mummy and I went to meet a lady who was lovely about me having some reflexology treatment to help me to sleep and with any pain. I can't wait until that starts.
I am really excited because on Friday we get to dress up in our school league colours for the day and have lots of league activities. I am a Minnow and our colour is red so I am going to wear my red stripey leggings and a red cardy!

PS When I went for my chemo today, one of my very special nurses missed my port which means she stuck the needle in me in the wrong place and then had to take it out again and put it back in in the right place. You know who you are special nurse. Move to the bottom of the list. No, only joking, I forgive you, you are still right up there!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELLO MIMA,
72 WEEKS WILL FLY BY, YOU'LL SEE!
I HOPE YOU DIDN'T YELL TOO LOUD AT YOUR NURSE TODAY? I BET SHE FELT TERRIBLE? AT LEAST SHE'S STILL HOLDS THE TITLE OF ONE OF YOUR 'SPECIAL NURSES' FOR WHICH I BET SHE'S VERY HAPPY ABOUT!
WELL I HOPE YOUR REFLEXOLOGY GOES OK, I'M SURE IT WILL, LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON ONCE YOU START IT.
I WILL BE THINKING OF YOU ON FRIDAY WHEN YOU WILL BE DRESSED UP IN RED.... I BET THAT WILL MAKE A NICE CHANGE INSTEAD OF YOU HAVING TO WEAR YOUR UNIFORM LIKE YOU DO EVERY OTHER DAY.
WELL I'M OFF TO BED NOW TO GET SOME SLEEP BEFORE THE HECTIC WEEKEND WE HAVE PLANNED FOR DANIEL'S 13th BIRTHDAY, AND IF YOU HAVE THE LEICESTER MURCURY ON SATURDAY, LOOK OUT FOR HIM AND 'ATLANTA' THE DOLPHIN IN THE 'BIRTHDAY GREETINGS' ALTHOUGH HE HAS NO IDEA HIS PICTURE IS GOING TO BE IN THE PAPER............Ssshhhh!
TAKE CARE MIMA,
LOTSA LUV,
MAX,
xxx

Katty said...

Hi Mima! I'm sure you will love your reflexology, you will have to tell us how it goes. It is sooooo relaxing... Red stripey leggings hey? They sound lovely and colourful. I love stripey stuff. When you said you were a minnow I had to look it up on wikipedia because I thought what is one of those but now I know it is a fish! Have you seen how many people have been on your blog... it's nearly up to 10,000!!! You are popular! Enjoy school Mima and I'llbe counting down the weeks with you until you finish your treatment! Am thinking of you, lots of love Kathryn xXx
P.S. Morgan's training is going ok. I was really proud of him on Monday because he jumped through the hoop for the first time instead of just stepping through though yesterday he had an audience and wasn't convinced so he didn't go through. He knows I want him to do something but he's not quite sure what... Is Digby as inconsistant as Morgan when you are training him? I bet you are loads better than me at being a trainer!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mima,

I want to thank you for your blog, from the bottom of my heart. I am a mom of 3 little girls and my 4 year old, Gaelle, has ALL.
She doesn't have the words to tell us how she feels most of the time, being just 4 and so, I wanted to tell you Mima, that your words help me understand how she might feel inside. It made it a lot easier for me to understand her and help her.
Thank you.
Your blog is touching people as far as Canada!
It is fantastic that you are in maintenance. I am very happy for you!

Take care.

Marie-Christine from Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Katty said...

Wow Mima, you've now had more than 10,000 hits! You must be proud! Hope your ok, Love Kathryn xXx

Anonymous said...

Hello Mima

My name is Amanda and I live in Dubai. I am a friend of Emma Jeffersons and she has told me loads about you. Mainly what a brave and special person you are and reading your blog I can see that that is completely true! I have a friend here in Dubai called Anna(she is a mum and has two little boys called Harry and Max who are 7 and 6 years old)and she has a port in her tummy too. Exactly the same thing happened to her - the nurse missed it when she was giving Anna her chemo. Gosh it must be a tricky job getting the needle in the right place given that nurses in England and Dubai get it wrong sometimes! Anna's hair has just grown back a little and she has had it dyed peroxide blond - she looks very cool and the other mums and I have decided that we would really like to have hair like that too but arent nearly brave enough.
It has been nice to be able to send you a message on your blog and I look forward to getting an update on how your maintenance is going when I see Emma in France in the summer (assuming that she can still walk after completing her triathalon next week!)
Much love from your new friend in Dubai.
Amanda

Anonymous said...

your blog said 72 weeks of treatment left well now its 71.One less already.Lets hope they go buy as quickly.I'll counting them. Its was lovely to see the comment from Marie Christine in Canada.You must feel special knowing that you can help someone so far away.
Hope you enjoyed your red stripey leggings day.
Lots of love
Sue