Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Friday 13th June 2008


May 2007

One year on!



Mima and I have sat down to write today's post and deleted the first three attempts because there is so much to say both positive and negative and we don't know where to start!

Mima's version:
Ah, I know what to start with. The positive side is that I have reacted well to the treatment (I think) and I have met some fantastic friends in the hospital and even though I broke my arm I have still been able to be with ponies who I love. On the negative side, I have no hair, I take lots of drugs, I have lots of needles stuck into me, I have had a seizure, lots of anaesthetics, an MRI, a CT scan, an echogram, an EEG, I feel sick most of the time and I have no energy and I bruise alot. I miss out on parties, shows, trips, school, sleepovers, swimming, riding and I have to rest alot. I can't wait to start on maintenance because then it is only another 72 weeks to go until I finish treatment. That would mean if I get to start next Wednesday then I would finish on 4th November 2009 and then I could ride again after my birthday in 2010 so I will be 11.

Mummy's version:
What a year - let's just put it down as one we would prefer not to repeat. Thank you everyone for all your support. Only another 18 months to go! I have so much to say about our experiences and our thoughts, but this is Mima's blog and her way of communicating so I will not intrude.


Messages: Fifi - I hope you can see I love my pyjamas! Max - It was really kind of you to come to watch me at Great Bowden and I always love your messages. My special nurses (you know who you all are, at hospital and at home) - thank you for being there for me all the time. All the HCAs and Helen - thank you for being there for me all the time. Everyone who has ever left me a message - Thank you, I love to read them all. All my friends - thank you for looking out for me.

11 comments:

Katty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katty said...

Hello Mima! It must have been a very significant day for you and all your family and I've been thinking about you all. I think you are sooooooo brave like I say to you a lot because I guess that the last year has been very hard and I am always amazed how you manage to put on a smile. Just think you are now nearer to finishing your treatment than you were a year a go. No more asparagus and mayonnaise - good riddance! Think of all the progress you've made in the last year and you'll have all the years to come to make up the parties and things you have missed out on. I can't imagine how things are for you but as they say: things can only get better; roll on 2009! Love lots to you Kathryn xXx
P.S. I've never been the first person to put a comment on before! Hope I've done you proud!
P.P.S. Sorry I messed the above comment up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sellicks Family, I hope you are celebrating today as you mark this important milestone. You are ALL a real inspiration for the way you have faced all that this last year has thrown at you with such bravery, dignity and determination.
Mima- you may have no hair but you still have the best and biggest smile around! and thats all we see.
Love The Furbers

Anonymous said...

Almost a year ago today, I picked the children up from school. Clare was her usual chatty self but Sam was noticeably quiet. I needed to pop into Sainsburys on the way home for a few bits. Clare was livid - she wanted to get home and watch Horrid Henry! Sam, however, simply shrugged and said "ok". Anyway, I was rummaging through the bags of green salad (probably looking for the one with the best 'use by' date) when Sam suddenly said "Jemima's got leukaemia". Since then, there hasn't been a single day when I haven't thought about you Jemima. Seeing you at school, nearly always smiling, you are just the biggest inspiration! Your blog has given me, and lots and lots of other lucky people, a really precious peek into your very special life. We might be leaving Stoneygate in a few weeks time but we'll still be thinking about you and keeping tabs on your progress. Thank you for letting us share the last year with you. Keep smiling Mima. You too Polly, James and Emily. Heather Collins x

Anonymous said...

Hi Mima...my name is Mckenna I am 8 yrs old. My mom is writing this for me. I had Leukemia when I was 3 years old, and now I am 8 1/2. I want you to know that you will get through the next 18 months. Once you get to maintenance it will be smoother. I too remember all the things you listed....esp missing out on the fun. BUT I did get lots of cool gifts...and I bet you do too. I have been off treatment for 3 years...and I have not even had a feve. I have no side effects and all my hair grew back. Its down my back now. No one even knows I had Leukemia....and that is fine with me. I have walked in 2 Relay for Life events, and I even spoke at a big fundraiser. I tell people..." I beat Cancer...and you will too!"
So...that is what I wanted to tell you....you will get better too just like me !!! I live in Hawaii now....its really pretty here.
God bless you...he will help you get to the end...when you can toss all those meds in the trash. You can see my web site ......
I like your blog...its pretty cool.
Mckenna .....

http://www.caringbridge.org/sd/mckenna/

FrontSport said...

Dear Mima


I am so glad that you can still ride. We miss you when you can't come to school. Don't worry about the future or I will have to cry!!!! You look gorgeus without your hair in fact I'm rather jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!


Lots of happiness from your friend Freya XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

HI MIMA,
HOPE YOU'RE FEELING WELL?
I JUST WANTED TO SAY HOW LOVELY IT WAS MEETING YOU FOR THE 1st TIME LAST SUNDAY AT THE FERNIE HUNT FAIR! YOU AND DIGBY DID REALLY WELL AND I'M GLAD HE FOLLOWED YOUR INSTRUCTIONS CORRECTLY!
I'M SURE THE LAST YEAR HAS BEEN BY FAR THE WORST OF YOURS - AND YOUR FAMILY'S LIVES, AND HOW YOU'VE COPED SO WELL LEAVES US ALL AMAZED, BUT THAT YEARS GONE NOW.... SO LETS FOCUS ON THE 4th NOVEMBER NEXT YEAR, I'M SURE THERE WILL BE A FEW FIREWORKS LET OFF A DAY EARLY!
IT MUST BE VERY ENCOURAGING FOR YOU TO READ MESSAGES LIKE THE ONE ABOVE FROM McKENNA BECAUSE VERY SOON YOU'LL BE IN HER POSITION,AND THE TIMES WHEN YOU'VE FELT REALLY SICK AND UNHAPPY WILL ALL BE BEHIND YOU,ALL YOUR MEDICINES WILL BE LONG GONE,AND YOUR LOVELY BLONDE HAIR WILL BE DOWN YOUR BACK....THOSE DAYS ARE NOT TOO FAR AWAY MIMA.
WELL.....WHILE WATCHING THE SHEEP SHEARING AT THE FAIR LAST WEEK,NIALL & ALFIE GOT PICKED TO JUMP ON ALL THE SHEEPS WOOL AND SQUASH IT DOWN INTO THE BAGS,THEY LOVED IT,BUT THEN ALFIE ASKED ONE OF THE SHEEP SHEARERS IF HE COULD HAVE A JOB........HE'S ONLY 5! THE MAN TOLD HIM TO COME BACK NEXT YEAR!
WELL I'D BETTER GET ALFIE IN THE SHOWER NOW, HE'S GOT ANOTHER PARTY THIS AFTERNOON, I CAN'T KEEP UP WITH ALL THESE PARTIES,WE HAD A FRIENDS BBQ PARTY LAST NIGHT, IT WAS ALFIE'S BIRTHDAY LAST WEDNESDAY, IT'S DANIEL'S NEXT WEEK AND NIALL'S THE WEEK AFTER THAT ASWELL AS FATHERS DAY TODAY SO IT'S NO WONDER MY PURSE IS LOOKING ABIT BEAR!!!!!!
ANYWAY,TAKE CARE MIMA
KEEP SMILING,
LOTSA LUV,
MAX
xxx

Anthea Martin said...

Hi Mima!

I just wanted to say hello and congratulations to you (and your family) on getting through your first year of treatment!

I don't know if you've seen it yet, but I wrote the article about you in 'Contact' magazine (with a little help from our friends at the Leicester Mercury!). I've been keeping an eye on how you're doing from your blog, but this is the first time I've left a message...I'm not very good with technology!!

I had cancer too, when I was 14. I had a type of bone tumour called a Ewing's sarcoma. I was lucky, because I only had to have one year of chemotherapy, and luckily no asparagus and mayonnaise!

But I wish I had been as brave and smiley as you when I was having my treatment. I was a real crybaby...I hated having needles and stuff...YUK!!! I'm getting very old now - 33! - but I still don't like having needles!

You and your family are a real inspiration, so keep smiling and keep blogging!

Take care
Anthea xx

Anonymous said...

Hola,
Just testing, because Rita can't send a message. LOLGX.

Anonymous said...

Hi 'Trouble'
I'm not very good with this modern technology so I might have posted my message on the wrong date or something. Just wanted to say I hope you enjoy watching Emily in the show and I am looking forward to your starting drama lessons in September......See you soon.
Your 'favourite' drama teacher!!

Anonymous said...

well done Mima you have made it through the first year and you are still smiling.You are a wonderful girl and so very brave.When you are better in November 2009 you will be able to tell other children who are ill that they wll get better just as you have. The next 18 months won't be as awful as this last year I'm sure.
I love reading your blog and it is very important to me.I look forward to each episode.
lots of love and I'm always thinking about you.
Sue