Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Thursday 26th June 2008

Well, you would not believe how good my blood results are now. My hb is up to 10.4, my platelets 324 and my neutrophils 4.4. It hasn't been that good since I was diagnosed! That means I can join in with lots more things now and I could even going swimming - Yippeeeeee!

I went to school today and stayed for the whole day until 3.30pm and it was not too bad really.
I started my chemo tablets last night and I have to have that every night for the next 18 months. Some times I have 4 tablets and sometimes 2 all depending on my blood results. I also have to have another chemo med once a week and that is 2 huge tablets and 1 little one or 2 little ones and 1 big one depending on my blood.

I feel ok at the moment too. My bones are quite painful and my skin is tingly and a bit sore but otherwise ok. My hair is beginning to grow back too. It was so funny at school today. We were playing a game and the teacher said everyone with blonde hair go to that corner and I said, but I haven't got any hair and everyone burst out laughing! I think it is going to be browny blonde this time but who knows.

We only have this week and next week left of school now and then I will be finishing year 4. Big Sis is leaving school next week to go to her new school so lots of changes for us. It is the school fete next Tuesday which is really fun but I have to be in hospital for a lumbar puncture and bone marrow thingy. I hope I wake up quickly though so I can go to the fete on the way home.

Emily is in the school show this week and we have just come home. It is really good so well done everyone who is in it.

Thank you everyone for leaving me messages and hello to my new friends from Hawaii, Dubai and Canada.

10 comments:

Katty said...

Hello Mima! Its really good that your blood results are so good - remember only 71 weeks to go now... nearly 70! You must have loved it being back and school and you seem to have such a great sense of humour - it's the best way to be Mima! I wonder though whether it is hard to smile through the treatment, but you always seem to come out tops with that grin on your face. Are you looking forward to the holidays? People are thinking of you across the world Mima, - who else can boast friends in Hawaii, Dubai and Canada?? Look after yourself and carry on smiling, lots of love Kathryn xXx P.S. Don't ask about the Morgan training... Morgan's been on strike the last few days, so I'm looking at Scooby as a new candidate for the hoop!
P.P.S. First again! I am honoured x

Anonymous said...

WOW MIMA...WHAT GOOD NEWS!!
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOUR BLOOD RESULTS ARE SO GOOD. I WAS BEGINNING TO WONDER WHERE YOU'D GOT TO AS WE HADN'T HEARD FROM YOU FOR OVER A WEEK!
I LAUGHED TOO WHEN I READ ABOUT THE GAME YOU PLAYED, I WONDER WHICH CORNER YOU CHOSE?
IT'S A SHAME YOU HAVE TO GO TO HOSPITAL ON TUESDAY WHEN THE SCHOOL FETE'S ON, AND I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU CAN CHANGE THE DATE OF YOUR APPOINTMENT REALLY!
WELL, WE SET OFF FOR WEST MIDLANDS SAFARI PARK LAST SUNDAY FOR DANIELS BIRTHDAY, AND WE GOT 10 MILES FROM THE PARK AND GUESS WHAT........THE CAR BROKE DOWN!!!
WE HAD TO GET TOWED HOME IN A TRUCK WITH OUR CAR ON THE BACK OF IT, SO THE CAR'S BEEN IN THE GARAGE ALL WEEK AS NO ONE KNEW WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT, AND DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT WAS.... A LOOSE WIRE!!
WELL, DAN HAD A TRAMPOLINE FOR HIS BIRTHDAY, WITH A TENT YOU CAN FIX ON TO THE TOP OF IT, SO HE'S HAVING A SLEEPOVER TONIGHT, BUT I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND OUT JUST HOW MANY BOYS HE'S INVITED! IT'S A BIG TRAMPOLINE, SO I DREAD TO THINK HOW MANY WILL TURN UP!
ANYWAY, I'D BETTER START PREPARING THE GARDEN SO IT'S READY FOR THEM WHEN THEY ARRIVE!
TAKE CARE MIMA,
LOTSA LUV,
MAX
xxx

Anonymous said...

See, what a special person you are, people from places around the globe are hearign about you and sending you messages! So glad you are feeling better and your blood results are so good. I hope you enjoy the reflexology, I have it every month and it's fabulous. I'm off on holiday next week, but I will catch up with your blog when I get back. I may not post messages that often but you are always in my thoughts. Jan

Anonymous said...

Hello you gorgeous girl, I know I've seen you but it feels odd not leaving a message for so long so thought I'd post one on. It's Monty's birthday party and guess what - he's sick! Well he's been sick 3 times and is feeling verpy poorly. I have 6 of his friends for the night as I brought them from school but managed to cancel the other 6. Thank goodness for older brothers as I didn't want to play rugby in the stand up pool very much! They're watching a DVD now so it's quiet.... not for long I expect!
I'm so glad your blood is so good - what fantastic news to log on to - and that's great that you had a whole day at school - no one else has been sick there then, like on Tuesday. Have a great weekend and speak soon, lots of love, Jemma Ef xxxx

Katty said...

Hi Mima!! Sorry about bothering you again this week I just had an idea... what about turning your blog into a book? I was thinking because so many people keep writing and saying how much it had touched them... also it would fundraise a bit of money too. What do you think? Hope your ok lots of love Kathryn xXx
P.S. Scooby had a go at the hoop and then Morgan got jealous because Scooby was recieving a treat and attention so he ran over and bit him - then a playfight started and they both ran off!

Anonymous said...

Aloha Mima....
Great news about your good counts...yeah!! I love that your hair is growing back!! I remember when Mckenna's came back...we were so excited and wondered what color it would be. It came back blonde..and curly. Now its down her back and gets lots of knots...haa haa. I am glad you can still laugh and make funnies...about the situation. It make others realize that anyone can get through this if we keep things easy going. Were rooting for you in Hawaii....maybe you will come this way and we can meet you. We have lots of visitors...and they all love it.
Esp seeing the turtles in the water....and the Dolphins swiming by the boats. Its warm and smells so good here with all the flowers...God bless you, your family and friends. You will beat this just like Mckenna did.
Aloha....
Lisa and Mckenna....

http://www.caringbridge.org/sd/mckenna/

Anonymous said...

Hola Mima, So happy to learn that every thing is going well at the moment. What a special girl you are! I do not think my comments are reaching you so after this I will send you email. I have spoken to Granny and plan to see you in Sept
. Can't wait to see you all and Digby and the chickens. It is so hot here, too hot to be in the sun!
Always thinking of you.
My love, Rita XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Uncle Simon said...

Brilliant !

Anonymous said...

so glad to hear about your good results.Must have made you all very happy when you heard them.When do you plan to take your first swim?
Friends all over the world. Don't forget me in South Africa aswell.
Liked your joke about the hair or rather no hair.
Hope your day in hospital goes well and that you manage to see something of your school fete.

Lots of love
Sue

Anonymous said...

Hope all is well, Mima, and you are busy with lots of fun things. How is Digby doing with his training?
I'm off on holiday on Friday, on a cruise, so I hope the weather isn't windy or the sea rough, or I may be seasick! I hope you and the family are able to have some holidays and days out. Keep smiling, Mima, and take care.
Jan x