Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Sunday 18th May 2008

I started my treatment on Tuesday. I had a general anaesthetic for a lumbar puncture and some chemo into my spine then had a full afternoon of chemo into my line so we didn't get home until late so I was very very tired. I say my friend Lewis in hospital. He is going to Birmingham next week to start his bone marrow transplant. He will be gone for 9 weeks and has to be in a room on his own and can only talk on a phone even to his Mum and Dad! Mummy said we can go to visit him if he gets bored. I hope he will be ok.
Julie, my home nurse, rang to day to tell me that my friend Alara had died yesterday. She was very very poorly and had neuroblastoma. Mummy and I had talked about how poorly she was and I knew she was going to die. I painted a card for her on Saturday and Julie took it to her and she said she liked it. Alara really liked horses too.
I have not been feeling too good this week and have not been to school at all. My legs have been very sore and I have been really tired. Mummy and I tried to go out for a little trip most days to take my mind off feeling sick but then I had to go to bed when we got home. We found a farm near here which sells bacon, ham and sausage which only has a really really small amount of sodium nitrite in it so now I can eat them again. I have had chemo at home every morning from one of the nurses but not today. I have been much better today and have planted some courgette and pumpkin seeds.
I am going to go to school tomorrow and Julie is coming to put a needle in my port and take some blood. I am going to do it without Mummy again because it was ok last week. I think I will ask Lily to come with me again because she was so good last week. After school a golf teacher comes to school and I am learning to play with 5 of the year 2 boys. I am the only girl!!! It was really good last week and I hit some good shots. Then we go home for some tea and straight off to dog agility with Dig Dog. I hope he is good again. He always wees on the jumps though and last week even weed on my foot!!! Yukkk!!!


7 comments:

Daisy & Archie said...

Hi Mima I think you are such a star. You just amaze me how brave you are. How talented you are to be taking up golf!! What next. Sorry to hear that your legs are sore. That's not good news. Well done to have your treatment at school without Mummy. Do hope we can meet up over half-term and have lunch at ZiZi's if you are feeling a bit better.
lots of love and see you really soon.
Love Auntie Jax
xx

venetia murray said...

Hi Mima,
Hope that you are feeling a bit better today and that you have managed to get to school.
Sorry to hear about your friend, it must make you feel very sad.
Well done with your golf, you really are a multi tasker!!
Also have fun with Digby this afernoon.
Thinking of you lots.
Venetia, Paul, Thomas and Hannah. XX

Katty said...

Hello Mima! I'm very sorry to hear that your friend has died. It must be really upsetting for you.
I'm also sorry to hear that you feel yuk because it can't be nice. Hope your blood test goes ok - you are soooo brave, you need someone like Lily there to make you laugh when you are having blood tests I think.
I do hope Digby doesn't wee on you again, bless him. You do make me smile. Look after yourself Mima and lots and lots of love to you Kathryn xXx p.s. you and your dog agility has inspired me to train Morgan and Scooby. I think I'm going to train them to jump through a hoop though I will do it after my final exam on the 4th June so I will have the whole summer because I think I'll need it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mima
You are soo brave
One of the boys houses in my school have just done a sponsered cycle ride and have donated I think about £2,000 to jemima invites. Your dad came to talk to us about the charity and it made me sponser the boys sooo much more.
Keep smiling
Dont let anything get you down!!
xxxx

Anonymous said...

HELLO MIMA, SORRY I HAVN'T WROTE ON YOUR BLOG UNTIL NOW, I'VE BEEN IN HOSPITAL WITH A KIDNEY INFECTION, AND I WAS NEARLY AS BRAVE AS YOU WHEN I HAD MY CANULA IN!!!
I HOPE YOUR FRIEND LEWIS GETS ON OK IN BIRMINGHAM, I'M SURE HE WILL BUT I WAS REALLY SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR LITTLE FRIEND ALARA, ALTHOUGH YOU KNEW HOW POORLY SHE WAS, I BET IT WAS REALLY UPSETTING FOR YOU WHEN YOU WERE TOLD SHE HAD DIED.
I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR NEW FOUND BACON, HAM & SAUSAGES, MAYBE YOU COULD RUSTLE UP A RECIPE INCLUDING YOUR COURGETTES AND PUMPKINS ONCE THEY HAVE GROWN?
ANYWAY, I MUST GO AND UNPACK MY HOSPITAL BAG AS I HAVN'T EVEN DONE IT YET!!
TAKE CARE MIMA, KEEP SMILING,
LOTSA LUV,
MAX
xxx
PS......LET US KNOW WHEN YOU GET YOUR 1st "HOLE IN ONE!"
xxx

Anonymous said...

you are amazing!So brave and always doing something interesting.The latest thing being golf. Look out Tiger Woods there's serious competition on the way.
I hope your friend whose going to Birmingham does well. It's a long time to spend in a room alone,but it will be well worth it when he gets well.
Lots of love and enjoy the sausages and ham.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Hi Mima,
I hope it's going OK at school - I bet you were glad to get back to everyone and that they were pleased to see you. How did the golf go? and how was Digdog - hope he doesn't wee on my foot next time I see him!
I'm so sorry to hear about Alara but did know you were expecting this sad news - you sound very brave and I hope all is going well for Ben.
I must plant my courgettes today - perhaps we can have a competition! I also have potatoes, broad beans (bet you don't like them)carrots and a few others - all in my front garden!
I hope we'll all get together over half term - big kiss to everyone at home from me and lots of love to you from all of us, Jemma Ef xxxx