Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Tuesday 8th April 2008

I started the last intensive block of treatment today with an LP and some ITMTX. I think I worried Mummy a bit though because it took me ages to go to sleep for the anaesthetic, but it was not my fault, it just would not work! I am back in tomorrow for Vincristine and Doxorubicin which should take a couple of hours and then in again on Thursday for some Peg Aspariganase. They are all the proper names but I call them Vin and his wife Christine, Dr Ruby's in and Peg with asparagus and mayonnaise. So by Friday I should be feeling fairly yuk, oh and I nearly forgot, I will be taking steroids from tomorrow too so no sleep and angry, angry, angry!
My arm is doing fine and Mr Kershaw, the ortho whatsit man said he was happy with how it looks and I have to start doing some funny excercises soon by hanging my arms and swinging them like a monkey! He showed me and it looked very funny. I saw Dr Madi on Monday about my arm too and he said some very bad news ...................................................no more riding until I have finished my treatment and for 6 months after so that will be 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it, I am sooooooooo sad and nothing has made me happy since he said that. He explained that the chemotherapy and particularly the steroids will have made my bones more easily broken and until everthing has finished they won't strengthen again. Boring, boring, boring. Horse riding is such a good hobby and I so love horses. Does anyone have any good ideas for other hobbies for me? Don't forget I have broken my right arm and can't use it for 8 weeks so no painting or writing or anything that needs my right arm.
Message from Mum: If you are not doing anything on Thursday, we have a big picnic day at Twinlakes so come along and meet us all for some fun. Just email info@jemimainvites.co.uk to reserve your tickets. You can go at anytime but we will be meeting on the upper level of the Labyrinth barn at 12.30pm.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MIMA, I HATE IT WHEN YOU SOUND FED UP! I THOUGHT YOU WERE ABIT UPSET ABOUT SOMETHING WHEN YOU DIDN'T WRITE ON YOUR BLOG FOR A WHILE!
I KNOW 2010 SOUNDS SOOOOOOOOOOOO FAR AWAY AT THE MOMENT, BUT BELIEVE ME IT WILL SOON COME AROUND!
UNTIL IT DOES, MAYBE YOU COULD PASS THE TIME BY GOING TO GORSE HILL CITY FARM PARK......... http://www.gorsehillcityfarm.org.uk/ AND HELPING OUT WITH THE LITTLE ANIMALS THERE, AND THE BIGGER ANIMALS ONCE YOU CAN USE YOUR RIGHT ARM AGAIN? I HAVN'T BEEN FOR A WHILE BUT THEY ALWAYS WELCOME VOLUNTEERS TO LEND A HAND!
AS BAD AS IT SOUNDS, I'M SURE DR MADI KNOWS BEST, ALTHOUGH I BET THATS ABIT HARD TO BELIEVE RIGHT NOW!!!
TAKE CARE MIMA, KEEP SAFE,
LOTSA LUV, MAX
xxx
PS, I'VE BEEN NOMINATED AS AN "UNSUNG HERO" IN THE NHS "QUALITY & SERVICE AWARDS" BY THE MANAGER ON THE MATERNITY WARD WHERE I DO MY VOLUNTARY WORK!!!
I'VE BEEN SHORT LISTED AND INVITED TO THE AWARDS CEREMONY ON THE 8th MAY AND I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I HAD NO IDEA I'D EVEN BEEN NOMINATED, BUT I WAS SO EXCITED WHEN I FOUND OUT LAST WEEK!
ANYWAY, TAKE CARE ONCE AGAIN MIMA,
MAX
xxx

Anonymous said...

What sad news about the horse riding.2010 will be here very quickly although it seems like ages away at the moment.It will be a good year for you.Your treatment will be over and you'll be really well and you will be able to ride again.I've been trying to think of a replacement but as yet can't think of anything.Max's idea sounds pretty good.
This next set of treatment sounds a bit miserable for you and your family.
Have you started the monkey exercises yet?
Have fun at the picnic but take care.
Lots of Love
Sue

Anonymous said...

Mima,
I guarantee you can beat anyone at Solitaire with your left hand. Try it.

LOLGX.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mima! I'm really sorry about all the silly restriction thingymabobs but i bet you'll up and about in no time. It sounds pretty rubbish but its probably all for the best. We'll all have to go skiing 2010, it seems ages away but it'll be round before you know it! Do you fancy a job as my weights? We could try some more press ups with you on my back!!! LOL. Hopefully will see you soon and I can do some more hoola hoola dancing and you can teach me some of those High School Musical moves :)
Lots o' Love
Tom J xxx

Katty said...

Hi Mima, what a pain about not being able to ride for so long no wonder your not very happy. But don't worry Mima I no lots and lots of people have said this to you but it will come really really quick. I think helping out a Gorse Hill is a fabulous idea,. I went there for 2 weeks to help out and I loved it. The animals are gorgeous and you can feed them and clean them out. They have pigs and goats and little animals such as rabbits and guinea pigs. I wish I could go and help there now thinking about it! Another idea is going to a animal rescue centre. There are a few in Leicestershire. Its really upsetting when you can't do what you love doing but maybe you will find something you like doing a lot and that will make the time you can't horse ride not too horrible and boring. I'll keep thinking what else you can do... Have a nice time at Twinlakes. Its Morgan's birthday today (he's 4) so I've got to go and get his fish out the freezer for his feast tonight. Love Kathryn xXx

Anonymous said...

Hola Mima,
Thank you for reminding me how to blog you again I have only been able to e-mail you. I look forward to hearing this next lot of treatment is over. Yesterday my water heater in the laundry room burst and there was 4" water to mop up. All I could think about was how lucky it happened whilst I was there! I hope your new chicken has settled in and when I come in September perhaps I could try one of your eggs!!
Thinking of you my darling.
Much love, Rita xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Mima - Ruby's dad Tim here. My son Jake sees Mr Kershaw -we can recommend him (not that you get much choice!)Jake found resting his right arm on a pillow helped if you find it difficult to sleep with the cast.
Not riding horses is pretty rubbish isn't it? I thought that you could still keep grooming them and taking them round with a lunge rein but Lynda tells me that mucking out isn't much fun!I could take you for a ride on my motorbike and you could make clippety clop noises but I also think that might not work so well and your mum and dad might have kittens!
I am sure you will find something to occupy your time - as soon as i finish work on my "fast forward button on my life remote" I will let you know.
Better go - Ruby has got shingles so we are in isolation on ward 9 but Dr Madi let us go home for the afternoon. Ruby said she liked his cufflinks when he admitted her yesterday (she likes to chose mine for work). When he came to check on her today he asked if she wanted to ask anything and she shouted "NO" in his face - isolation makes her a bit grumpy!I think he understood?
See you soon (planned visits only!)
Tim

Katty said...

Hi Mima, I have an idea... what about drama classes? Hope your ok. Lots of love Kathryn xXx

Anonymous said...

Mima

Just a very quick note - we have just left ward 9 having been looked after by Adie (if you remember him from last year on 27). Ruby got moved today and went in to Room 19 on ward 14. Mary is her nurse (also ex-ward 27 - they are everywhere!)
Just as we were settling her in, we saw Francesca's picture on the window from 1999 and then yours above it from 2007.
We were very impressed although I did have to take some time to explain to Ruby that painting on the windows at home would not be a good idea!
I think Ruby now thinks that there is a rule that ward 27 kids should leave their mark on every room they stay in. A small secret sign that does not damage anything - any ideas?
Tim

Anonymous said...

Hola Mima
I am keeping up with your news and hope you are feeling better today. We have had lots of rain in Mallorca since I returned from Chicago, but today the sun is back.
I have booked a flight to come to Leicester in mid September so I will see you then, and the chickens and dear Digby. There are jelly fish in the sea here and Hazel's grandson has been badly stung. The jelly fish seem to be increasing I wonder if there is another fish that likes to eat them!
Keep in touch.
Love you
Rita X
,