Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Sunday 24th February 2008




BUSY, BUSY, BUSY
I have had a really busy weekend. Yesterday, I bet you can't guess what we did in the morning??????? Yes, we went riding. It was great. I rode Snowy who was very well behaved and I cantered and jumped with him really well. Emily rode Roos who she is not too sure of but still had fun. Then we went to hospital for chemo. I had some more Vincristine and some IV methotrexate which took about an hour. Both Rubys were there so it was nice to see them and also Louis is still there and I always have fun with him. Big Ruby was very bored though because she was waiting for a blood transfusion and platelets which had to come from Sheffield. Sorry I couldn't stay to keep you company Ruby and I hope it all went ok in the end.
Today, I had a very lazy morning watching TV and lying around in bed. Daddy decided we should have roast pork for lunch today but we didn't really like it so won't be doing that again! Then I went to my friend Freya's 9th birthday party this afternoon. It was great fun and we dressed up like St Trinians girls and did a dance routine. I was one of the team leaders and loved it. Happy Birthday Freya.
I am very tired tonight so off to bed now. No treatment until next Monday and then some more Vincristine and IV Methotrexate until I reach toxicity!!! That will either be that my platelets or neutrophils are too low to have any more or my mouth and lips will be ulcered and blistered and I won't be able to have any more. I hope it will be my bloods are not good enough but last time I had to go into hospital because my mouth was so sore and I had to be on morphine! Yukkkkkk!!!
We heard some very sad news this week. My friend Tom from Ward 27 died. He had cancer in his bones and had already lost one of his arms. He was really good fun and always made me smile. He used to tell us all jokes and play bingo and lots of games at the hospital with us. I will really miss him. Bye Bye Tom.
One last thing. I keep forgetting to tell you that the chickens are laying! Not very often, but we have had 5 eggs now. Digby found the last two under a bush in the garden. He was so funny, he was really excited and started running around the garden then came to Daddy and put first one egg down on the floor very gently and then went to get another. Clever boy!!! Emily put them in her pocket and broke one!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI MIMA, IT'S LOVELY TO HEAR FROM YOU BUT I DIDN'T LIKE READING THE SAD NEWS AT THE END OF YOUR POST ABOUT YOUR FRIEND TOM, I'M SURE YOU'LL MISS HIM ALOT.
YOU'VE BEEN REALLY BUSY THIS WEEKEND HAVN'T YOU, I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU FIT IT ALL IN!!
WE'RE DECORATING OUR LOUNGE THIS WEEK SO I BET I WON'T HAVE A MINUTE TO SPARE BUT I WILL STILL FIND TIME TO DO MY VOLUNTARY WORK AT THE HOSPITAL WITHOUT A DOUBT!
I HOPE ALL YOUR TREATMENT GOES JUST AS YOU WANT IT TO WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS WITH ULCERS OR BLISTERS!
KEEP US POSTED ON HOW YOU'RE DOING,
TAKE CARE MIMA,
LOTSA LUV,
MAX

venetia murray said...

Hi Mima,
So nice to read that your feeling well at the moment but I am sorry to hear the very sad news of your friend Tom, it must be very hard for you, keep brave and strong.
Hope that your getting lots of eggs, they are so delicious, my chickens are being very lazy at the moment and only laying 1 egg between the 3 of them.
I hope that you manage to make it to school each day this week and good uck with your treatment next week, lets hope that those horrible ulcers don't turn up.
Lots of love and keep smiling. Venetia XXXX

Anonymous said...

HEY MIMA,I MUST SAY YOU LOT LOOK LIKE A RIGHT BUNCH!!!!!!!!!! THE PICS ARE GREAT BUT YOU ARE STICKING YOUR TONGUE OUT ON BOTH OF THEM, HOPEFULLY THE SAME TONGUE THAT WILL STAY FREE FROM THOSE ULCERS & BLISTERS!
TAKE CARE (FOR THE 2nd TIME TONIGHT)
LOTSA LUV, MAX
xxx

Unknown said...

Dear Mima

I love the dancing picture, it looks like you had a fantastic party. Not long until your 9th birthday. Glad the hens are finally laying eggs too!
Lots of love Auntie Nic Nocs

Daisy & Archie said...

Hi Mima
It's great to read all your news. Sorry we haven't written for a while. Daisy has gone to bed early this evening as she is having an ear operation tomorrow morning. Our hens love pasta - they are laying every day at the moment. They did get a bit lazy at Christmas - I think it was the cold!
Very sorry to hear about your friend Tom.
Keep writing.
lol Ben, Jax, Daisy & Archie
xx

Anonymous said...

Well as usual you've been very busy.The photographs are great.You all look like the real St Trinians.
Glad to hear the chickens are laying and wasn't Digby clever to find the egg and carry it without breaking it.
Seems the horse riding is going well.Good fun isn't it and really good exercise too.
The fund raising is fantastic the recent events have done really well.
Not long till your birthday and of course it is Grannys as well.A really big one for her.
Hope we see some photographs.
Thinking of you as always
lots of love
Sue

Anonymous said...

Hi Mima, What a great weekend - the pictures are fantastic - you look born to be a St Trinian's pupil!!I'm very impressed with Digby - can't imagine our dogs doing that - they would eat the chickens and the eggs! Well I spent most of my weekend standing on a cold touchline - just for a change....
I am very sorry to hear the sad news about Tom - I remember you talking about him. You have some lovely memories of him and I am sure will miss him.
I hope your treatment next week is OK and your mouth holds up - hopefully speak to you before,
lots of love, Jemma Ef xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh My goodness!!
It has been so long since I left you a message... and I can not believe everything that you have been up to!!
Moules by the sea looked fabulous, I love them, and I don't suppose they could have been any more fresh than those? How does daddy measure up as chef? Has Lino got some competition do you think?
Was the weather good, it looked super. There really is nothing like a holiday by the sea. I have dreams of living by the sea eventually.
And those chickens!! What fun!! Lucia and Elisa always have fun chasing chickens at Lucy and Esme's, if we had the space I would definately like to have some too, and such scrumptious eggs, Yum Yum!
I am so sorry about you friend Tom, I am sure that you will miss him, but I bet he is up in heaven smiling down and cheering you on!
I am also sorry that is so long since I have been in touch.. life has been so hectic recently, I don't seem to have any time to keep up with my personal stuff. But I do keep up with your web site.
I especially love the photos, and am so impressed with your wig. I have not seen it before, I think it looks fab. You look especially good in the St Trinians out fit... very worrying... do you know how naughty those St Trinians girls are?
I hope that your next batch of treatment is going ok, and that you are not having too many horrible side effects.
Keep smiling, gorgeous girl, and I hope we see you around some time soon.
Lots of love from Sarah, and Lino and The Girls too!!
xxxx

Uncle Simon said...

Mima you and your school friends do look like a fun and naughty bunch! Keep up the good work. Can you email me some birthday present ideas please. Mahalo - Uncle Simon xxx