Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Thursday 2nd August 2007

I AM NOT HAPPY!!!!!
I am stuck in hospital with a high temperature and feel really rubbish. I have the shivers one minute and then I am hot hot hot the next. I came back last night and have started two different types of IV antibiotics to try to make me better but the chemotherapy which I have been having each day at home has made me feel like this. Flu type symptoms are one of the side effects and I have two more days of this chemo so could feel poorly for a little while longer yet. I have just had some IV fluids put up too because I don't feel like eating or drinking.
I had been having a good time at home and enjoyed going out last week for a riding lesson which was great, then I went to a polo match and had another ride there (I love riding!!!). On Sunday my family went out for lunch to celebrate my Papa's birthday and we had the best food ever. Then it was Hannah's birthday on Monday so we had a fun party with her family and a chinese takeaway which was scrummy.
On Tuesday I had another general anaesthetic for some chemo to go into my spine (this is called IT MTX) and I had the needle changed on my port plus two bags of blood .................. then I started to feel poorly which is why I am here now. Basically I am what is called neutropenic which means I have no immunity to any bugs and the doctors think I have a bug now, possibly in my line. I have very low platelets too so I will have to have a platelet transfusion tomorrow.
I hope I feel better soon and will be able to see my friends again. I really miss seeing everyone so will let you know when I am able to have visitors again.
Night Night!!!

10 comments:

Uncle Simon said...

Mima
I think those IV antibio's will do the trick. Hey that horseriding sounds fun! So you had one lesson, and next you are in a Polo match - AMAZING !! Ha Ha ! Uncle Simon xxx

venetia murray said...

Hi Mima,

Thomas and I saw Mummy's car in the car park yesterday and we so nearly came up to see you but I am glad we didn't as you are feeling so poorly. Poor you. I know it is horrible being stuck in hospital but at least all the nice nurses and doctors are there to help you feel better. Hopefully your platelet tranfusion tomorrow will help you to feel better.
Thomas came to the hospital yesterday and left covered in stickers, he even got one for his magic cream!! He will be coming back soon to have another MRI to have a look inside his body.
You are being so brave and we think about you all, all the time. Big hug and kisses every one, all our love Venetia, Paul, Thomas and naughty Hannah!! XX

Anonymous said...

Hi Mima, it was great to see you today, i know we didnt stop long but mummy said that you really needed to rest so that you start to feel better soon, if your still in next week maybe I could come again and stay for a play/chat. I hope you enjoy the DVDs, I have already started the pony book you lent me. We will pop some of our books in the post to you, HEY!! we can be like a library.
Love and mwh - Fifi

Hamish said...

Hey Mima
I'm sorry your feeling so poorly. I hope the medicines will make you better very soon. I watched a little bit of polo the other day and it looks like a really cool game to play. I hope you feel better very soon, please let me know when you can have visitors again as I'd love to come and see you. love from Hamish xxxx

Philly Phil Pot said...

Hi Mimia. I have just been onto your website. I think the photo's are gorgeous, particularly the one of you and Digby dog. Let me know when you feel up to doing a jigsaw or two as I have a few that will keep you out of trouble. Hope that you are back home very soon. Much love Philly xx

Redders said...

Hi Mima

I hope by now that the iv antibiotics are doing the trick and that you are starting to feel a whole lot better. We have just been to Norfolk for a few days and Jack water skiied for the first time! We thought about you lots whilst we were there. We love your new web site too!
Heaps of love Lynda, Phil, Jack, Freya & Archie xxxxx

Ava Sjoberg said...

Hello,
My name is Ava. I am 8 years old like you. I read about you in the paper and it sounds very sad. I hope you keep making good progress and feel better soon. I see you like horses and ponies and I do too. You looked so pretty at the wedding in the pictures in your blog. I will keep reading your news and wish you good luck! xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Mima

I have just been into school and I have collected the letter that you sent to me,thank you very much.
I read your article in the Leicester Mercury yesterday it was very good.I am glad that you are being very brave and I am sure writing about It and talking about It helps. I would love to come and see you either at home or in the hospital if it is possible before I return back to school,I will leave it up to you to suggest a time.
Love from Mrs Ball xxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Dear Jemima,
My name is Harriet Ball, your ex-teacher, Mrs Ball is my granny!I was wondering whether you know if there is a Lucy Matthews or a Rachel Fixter in your hospital as they both go to my school and have got Leukemia too.I go to Market Bosworth Primary School.
In September I will be in year 6!I have read your diary in the Leicester Mercury and I think you are very brave,I hope that you will recover very soon,good luck!
Love Harriet Ball xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi,Jemima

We saw your newspaper article
and when we got back from norfolk
we read your blog.

You're being so brave keep up the
good work. We saw fifi at swimming
and hope you are able to go to school today and see all your friends.

Keep on smiling. Send our best wishes to Emily, your Mummy and Daddy.

Love from The Culverwell Family