Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Wednesday 18th July 2007

Yesterday went very well, much better than I thought it would. I don't like being nil by mouth but now that I am not on steroids any more it seemed to be much better. Anyway, I was called in to theatre much quicker than I had expected (about 11.30 am and last week I had to wait until 2pm!) so I was awake again by 12.30pm and I have managed to work out a way of eating whilst I am lying down! I have to lie down for 1 - 2 hours after a lumbar puncture (LP) to help stop the methotrexate (medicine which goes into my spine) from giving me a very bad headache. So, spaghetti bolognaise, egg fried rice and lots of mini choc rolls later, I can sit up and guess what, my lovely friend Freya came to keep me company. I had to ring Daddy because I was still hungry, so he brought me another spaghetti bolognaise - yum. Then I had to have chemo into my port for about half an hour but because it can make my bladder irritated I had to have four hours of fluids afterwards!!! Then my Auntie Nic Nocs came to see me with Hattie and Tilly so Freya, Tilly, Hattie and I all did some crafts and the time passed really quickly. So a very big thank you to you all for helping with making the time go quickly!


Today I feel weak and my legs ache so I think I am being a bit whingey but I know that it is because my red blood count is low. Sally, the Macmillan Nurse came to take some more blood and give me some chemo into my port which was fine but made me feel a bit sick. I am taking two different types of anti-sickness med and have a special plaster behind my ear which gives me anti sickness meds over 3 days so hopefully I won't feel sick for long. I have to have the nurse every day for 4 days for chemo into my port and still have to have chemo tablets in the evening and some yuk medicine because we are having a new bathroom which is dangerous for me. The dust from the building could give me a fungal lung infection so I keep taking the meds.

I had lots of visitors today. Granpa and Janet came to help me with my new jigsaw and Lottie came to try on bridesmaids dresses. I then had a visit from Isla and Rachel which I loved especially as they brought me some cakes. Rachel looks really well and she helps me to think I can get well too. I also had a visit from Helen who brought me some scrummy chocolate which I am munching on - thank you! Venetia came with a fantastic chocolate cake - thank you too!


Anyway, the hospital just rang and said that my red blood count is just above the level that they usually give a transfusion and I am not neutropenic so I hope Mummy will take me horse riding tomorrow. Night night. I am going to dream about ponies!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jemima,
It was great to come and see you today, what a relief that you liked the cakes! Rachel has started on the grumpy medicine today, so we'll be keeping out of her way! We made 2 lots of cakes today when we got back, Rachel was very envious of the chocolate cake that Venetia brought over for you, so we had to make one! plus some more fairy cakes. Sally was at our house yesterday, we like her a lot! (even though she couldn't get Rachel's red line to work yesterday!)
I hope you get to go horse riding tomorrow, and maybe we'll see you and Emily next week?
Lots of love from Alison, Rachel and isla
ps the girls just CANNOT BELIEVE you have a tv in your bedroom!!

Redders said...

Hi Mima,
It was great that you had such a lovely time with Freya yesterday. Sorry I came back too soon (typical parent showing up in the middle of all the fun!), but your Mummy quickly dispatched me again. Freya would have happily stayed forever I think. It is lovely to be such good friends. I keep reading about cakes on your blog, making me hungry. I hope you got to ride, if not that you do soon. Am world's worst rider myself, though don't tell Lynda.
Anyway am droning on
Glad I seem to have worked out how to put something on a blog!
Freya's Daddy

Redders said...

Dear Mima
I had such a great time on Tuesday
I had fun making the god's eyes.
I would be glad to come with you to have your medicine at school. I'm can't wait until you can come back to school!!!
LOTS OF LOVE FREYA XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

hi jemima
I wish my mummy and daddy would let Tallulah and I have the food you have been eating...

Thinking of it is making me really hungry and all mummy lets us eat is broccoli, carrots and other stuff.

I hope you went horse riding, what is your pony called. My sister really likes horses and can make a sound just like them.

Love from
Noah and Tallulah

Anonymous said...

Hi Mima, did you get to ride?? we hope so. Its true what everyone says you get to each lots of yummy food. We can recommend pasta at Zizzi in MK, so can the Woods and the Abbotts (we saw them)! My Pony at camp is Charlie and Mima has Fudge who she absolutley loves.Can you believe Lulu got her 5m,10m,20m and level 1 swimmimng badge!!Look out Minnows, the Sticklebacks will beat you! Love The Furbers

Anonymous said...

hi Jemima
Did you get to go horse riding?
I hope your blood count has gone up and that you are feeling better. Your weekend with the Wheelers sounds like it was really cool. How many ice creams did you eat?
Daddy asks if you want to help him with his job because you are so clever about all your medicines and things. You could definately be a doctor!
Take care and
lots of love
Poppy

venetia murray said...

Hi Mima
Helena Bower sent me the details of your blog today which I have loved to read. You are so clever to write your own blog and we love to know how you are feeling as we think about you all the time.
Glad you liked the chocolate cake, let us know if and when you would like another as Thomas loves making them and to lick the bowl out, ending up with chocolate all over his face.
Thomas is back to hospital on Thursday for some more blood tests which he hates to have, he is not as brave as you and cries alot, hopefully the nurse will be quick.
Sleep well sweet heart and I will write again soon, we think of you always.
Lots of love

Venetia XXX