Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Thursday 26th November 2009

Great Ormond Street ......................................
Well, this is what happened: Mummy, Daddy and I went to London on the train which was great fun (I love going on the train!) and guess what? My Auntie Tan was on the train too so we sat with her! Then we went to Buckingham Palace to see the changing of the guard. It was a really sunny day and we climbed up on to the island monument thingy outside the palace so we could see what was going on. I really loved seeing the police on the horses and guess what...................when I grow up, I would like to be a mounted policewoman. I met one of the horses called Zena and she lived at New Scotland Yard. She was a beautiful grey and didn't mind the traffic and people at all.
Anyway, then we went to a yum scrum restaurant called cafe caldesi and I had a fantastically delicious steak with broccoli and little roasties, yummmmmmmmy!
Anyway, then we went to Great Ormond Street and I began to feel a bit funny and I was worried about what they might do to me. We had to wait for a few minutes and there were lots of children there. A very nice doctor spoke to me and Mummy and Daddy about what had been happening and about our family and my treatment and then we saw Professor Cross. Basically, she thinks that because she sees loads and loads of children who have epilepsy she has a pretty good idea of what is or isnt epilepsy and from what I told her about my seizures she thought the first one was perhaps an epileptic seizure but the other two weren't. She said with all the medicines I had had to take over the last 2½ years, I was bound to feel a bit funny sometimes and I might feel funny again but she didn't think it was epilepsy. In fact she thought the last one I had sounded more like a mild migraine! So Mummy gave her my horrrrrrrible epilepsy pills and said she never wanted to see them again! Then Professor Cross said she had a picture of my brain on her computer and it looked alright to her, then she said she was pleased to say that I was perfectly normal!!!
We all came out of the hospital very happy, well I was, but Mummy and Daddy both said that they had a fly in their eye because their eyes were watering!!!
Then because we were all so happy Daddy said we could do a bit of shopping but I didn't really find anything so we went back to the station and Mummy and Daddy had TWO glasses of champagne and I had a lemonade and a bowl of yummy scrummy ice cream.
So that was two weeks ago. Oh yes, then we went to see Dr Madi the day after Great Ormond Street and he said I had a pretty good chance of not getting Leukaemia again and he agreed that I didn't have to take any more pills (after I said oh please Dr Madi!). So now I have had a full week of no pills and I think I feel quite good!
My hair is growing back, a bit patchy, but it is growing. My ankles and knees are still achey but I think my bounce is coming back to my legs a bit.
Have a nice weekend everyone, I know we will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Post Pals said...

Hi Mima, I'm so happy to hear your good news! Love Viks

venetia murray said...

So thrilled for you all Mima, what a fantastic Christmas you will all have.
Love Venetia XXXX

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful update Mima, it made me cry as im worried about a thing or 2 at the moment but you just cheered me up a little!
We're off to center parcs on Monday, so im looking forward to that!
Take care Mima,
Lotsa love,
Max
xxx

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear what the doctors told you no more pills must be the best news you have had for a long time. I'm sure Christmas will be a very special one for all of you.
Sounds as though you made the best of the trip to London.
I'm sure you will get strong again quickly.When the time spring time comes you will be springing around.
Lots of Love
Sue

Katty said...

GREAT Mima you and your family must be over the moon :-) Sounds like you had a lovely day in London too so that day will stay in your memory a long time. No more leukaemia, no more epilepsy, no more pills! I think you would make a fantastic mounted policewoman when your older by the way and can see it now. You can start riding in 2010 can't you... I'm very glad your brain scan looked normal. When they tried to do a scan of my dad's they said they couldn't find one!
Have a nice weekend and you have brightened my weekend up now so thank you. I am very pleased for you all. You can get back to normality - whatever that is. Lots of love Kathryn P.S. Only 28 days until Christmas!!!

Uncle Simon said...

Totally fandabidozy Mima !

Katty said...

Mima! 4 sleeps to go (including tonight though I guess that tonight doesn't count as I am imagine your fast asleep in bed right now)! I just wanted to say happy christmas to you!! I was going to send you a card for you and your family but don't have your address (last year I went on your website to get it). So Happy Christmas Mima, Emily and Mr and Mrs Sellicks! Have a good one though the way things have gone I'm sure it will be fantastic. Lots of love, Kathryn xxx