Hi Everyone

My name is Jemima but everyone calls me Mima. I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia on 13th June 2007 and had to spend just over 3 weeks in hospital. I have set up this blog so that I can keep in touch with my friends and keep you up to date with what I am doing.

WE DID IT!!! - THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE SUPPORTED JEMIMA INVITES OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS, WE HAVE NOW MANAGED TO BEGIN THE RESEARCH WHICH PROFESSOR MARTIN DYER WAS SO DESPERATE TO DO.

Tuesday 18th September

I'm really well


I am at school most of the time now and managing to do full days mostly too. Some days Mummy has to come in to bring me some food because my tastes have changed or some times she takes me home for lunch instead (much better!)


I had my needle put into my port and some blood taken on Monday at School for the first time. Julie, one of the nurses, met me at school and we went to Matron's room. I was really excited to have it done at school but in the end it was the same as at home really. Then, guess what....... I fell over and hit my port ouch ouch ouch. I had to phone Mummy because it hurt so much so she came and sat with me for a while until I felt better.


We had swimming at school today but I couldn't swim because I had my needle in and I really wanted to go so my teacher said I could next week. I will have to see what my bloods are doing though because if I am neutropenic it won't be a very good idea. Booooorrrring - i really want to swim!


I am seeing Dr Madi in the morning for a chat as we have not seen him for a while and I have to have some Vincristine too. I had some last week and it has made my bones ache but mostly my mouth bones have been really sore. After tomorrow I have two weeks with no meds (apart from yuk yuk yuk weekend medicine) then the next block starts if my bloods have recovered enough. My platelets have to be above 75 (now they are 34) and my neutrophils above .75 (now they are .40)

Oh yes I nearly forgot to say I am really really really excited because I am starting violin lessons on Thursday. I can't wait but I have to give Mummy and Daddy some ear plugs!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there
great to hear that you are feeling well and managing to do so much school.
I read the details about what your bloods have to be to start the next block and it seems that you are almost 1/2way. I hope thats a good sign.
You are certainly into a varity of things horse riding and now violin lessons very different.
I think everyone will need earplugs when you begin including Digby.
Lots of love
Sue

polly.sellicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

hi mima,
you are doing so well with your treatment i am pleased with you from emmy sellicks

Anonymous said...

Hi Mima, I've really enjoyed reading your blog and all your lovely news. The medicine side of things sounds like it fits quite smoothly into your day to day life now, and I'm so glad you're at school all the time. I expect you have to not chat and giggle too much if you're sitting right in front of your teacher. Good luck with the violin, it's a really good instrument as you can play it in the school orchestra when you've had a bit of practice, and that will be lots of fun. Lots of love to you all, Penny

Anonymous said...

Hi Mima

We are so pleased to hear your feeling and looking so well at the moment!!
Any time you need a jemi`s pasta
fix come and see us.Very exciting about the violin, look forward to hearing you!!

Lots of Love
Lucy, Ashley, Indy and Fred X

RozBarnes said...

Hello Jamima, have you gone back to school today? Alex is in for his chemo today until Friday, he is not happy! He got a clear scan last week, there is no sign of a tumour there so we are still celebrating. I hope that you will still be there on Wednesday afternoon for the Halloween party, apparently it will start in the afternoon. I have made Asma a Morticia Addams costume, and Felicity will be the white witch from Narnia. Alex will be Captain Jack Sparrow, with a huge variety of swords!XX Rosalie

Anonymous said...

hello mima and family!
glad to hear you are getting better and violin sounds exciting, i wish i could play it!
love from Stephanie and the Le Lievres in Jersey xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hello Mima,
Sorry for taking so long to say thank you for my lemon drizzle cake - it was splemondicious - I'm sorry to hear that you've had a fight with a door - it sounds horrid but I'm very glad to hear that you will be home shortly. All our love and kisses from Charlie, Tom, Herbie and Monty - p.s. give Emily a kiss from us too.

Anonymous said...

Waw. Glad to hear so nice comments. Hope we will have more information soon